Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Let's keep the streak going!

It has been 24 hours since either bunny has had medicine, a force-feeding, or has peed on me.
It all started with River's 3-day stint where she selectively forgot how to eat any solid food aside from the random piece of banana chip or candy in her pellets.  She acted hungry and showed interest in food, but refused to eat anything.  No signs of pain and her teeth looked good, so maybe a mini stroke or she's getting a bit dotty in her old age.

I had to play dirty and paint her front paws with critical care since she refused to swallow it from the syringe or actively tried to stick her tongue in it to make it spray everywhere.  I also discovered that if I made it into a thin paste, she would lap up off of a plastic lid, which was way cleaner than the finger paint method with the bonus that she wouldn't flick it off of her paws all over the place.  I also managed to get her to anger eat some celery by gently whapping her in the face with it until she'd try a bite.
Just when I finally got River to eat pellets again and put away the bunny medical supplies, Simon decided to hop on the sick bunny bandwagon.  We had some pretty severe storms come through the area and think the stress of the howling wind and thunder spooked him enough to stop eating.
Needless to say, I was very unpopular around here.  The bunny shunning was real and intense!
Thankfully, they're both slowly getting back to their normal feeding routine, they're having fun playing tag, and I've been given a full pardon for my earlier transgressions.  Life is good!

4 comments:

Mónica López said...

Poor buns, and poor you! First you have to stand River being a diva about her meds and food, then Simon hopped in with his "anything my sissy does, I can do it better, even getting sick!" rabbitude. They peed on you as revenge, and then they were mad. Thank God for bunnies short-term memory!

Courtney said...

Hi Mónica!

Seriously! Honestly, every time it happened, I was amazed at both how much pee a tiny little bunny can unleash at will and how hot it was (you'd think I'd just spilled coffee in my lap). I really do think they waited on purpose so I would have to wash yet another set of clothes and purple towels. The things we do for bunnies! ;)

Anonymous said...

Good to know they're doing well, hope the pee wasn't too foul smelling!

Courtney said...

Hi Anon!

Thankfully, it didn't have any scent, so that was nice. We just had to do a ridiculous amount of bunny-related laundry for that span of time. We're just glad that they're both eating hay and pellets again! :)