Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Little quilting assistant.

I just finished hand sewing the first four panels of Mom's memory quilt and her grandbunny, River, has given it her chinning of approval!  (The navy blue pieces are from her 52 year old wedding dress.)

Mom loved the ocean and since her clothes were nondescript, I decided to draft the designs of the birds and seashells.

Here's all of the panels laid out.  The appliqué is tacked down with school glue stick and needs to be sewn to the panels yet (one of each type is completely finished). The solid colors of the birds, border, hearts, seaweed, and shells are cut from the clothes of hers I had to work with.  The finished quilt will be 55 x 65 inches.

I have a lot of hand sewing to do yet and as this is my first quilt, I'm learning as I go!  It's a good thing River is patient.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! You did a great job! & beautiful bun too :)

Mónica López said...

Nothing like River's quality control! She takes very seriously her role as tester! She is even reaching out from her cage!
And no wonder why, it's a really wonderful quilt with a beautiful theme, and an amazing sewing job.

Tarosagi said...

Wow that looks great and I'm happy to see that River approves of her grandma's beautiful quilt! Looks like a lot of heart and effort has gone into the design of the panels and I love how you've created all the colors and shapes from your mom's clothing, even if this is your first quilt I'm sure it will turn out well and snuggling the quilt will be like getting a hug from your mom!

Courtney said...

Hi Anon, Mónica, and Tarosagi!
Thank you all so much! Getting these bits sewn together actually feels like I've accomplished something instead of all of the behind-the-scenes work to get to this point. I'm glad I could get a pic of River with it since Mom would always try to spoil her little grandbunnies with treats like the handful of grapes story! :)