Wednesday, May 31, 2023

How do they always know?!

[like a messed up travel brochure/commercial] Feeling bored and have a long holiday weekend coming up where exotic vet offices will be closed?  Stop eating and get gurgle tummy with early GI stasis--a winning combination!  You get lots of extra attention and making the humans worry is just a bonus.

Thankfully, a night of me sleeping on the couch to monitor her, lots of force feeding, pro-biotics (Bene-Bac plus), pain meds, and a couple of doses of metoclopramide (a gut motility drug) later, the little munchkin is finally eating on her own and going to the litter box again!  I'm so glad I had kept Simon's leftover medicine in the 'fridge because it was a definite life saver here.

3 comments:

Mónica López said...

Thank Goodness she is alright! You did a great job taking care of her, specially in such a difficult time. I also wonder how they always know, it's like they have some kind of sixth sense! "Hmmm... my bunny senses are tingling, vets must be closed! Time for GI stasis!"
Thankfully she is eating and going to the bathroom now so everything's alright!

Tarosagi said...

A perfect storm, but I am relieved that everyone is okay and that you all made it through the most difficult parts of the early stages of GI and that you were able to whip up a magical concoction that relieved River of her tummy issues. I'm sure that Simon played an important part in helping out too since it was his left over medicine and I'm sure everyone was helping keep River in good spirits and keep her gut active.

3 cheers for everyone, you all do great and wonderful things!

Courtney said...

Hi Mónica and Tarosagi!
Aww, thanks! We're so glad we had the medicines on hand to give her and that they worked so quickly. Simon was definitely watching over her and helped us out in the medicine department. I think keeping close tabs on how much she eats and drinks each day (I weigh everything and write it down) clued me in to the problem before it got any worse.

Now, we just have to make sure the sneaky little munchkin doesn't try to use this to just eat candy, though it's nice to see her interested in food again. ;)