Monday, July 2, 2012

Simon and River's recovery and sibling rivalry.

Here's a pic of River that I took on her first outing after her spay.  She scared my husband and me because she acted as if she didn't just have surgery two days prior.  She was running, bouncing around, and standing up like she is here.  We only let her run around for 5 minutes before herding her back into her cage for fear of her overdoing it.  You can see where they shaved her tummy and the spot where they put the surgical glue-poor little girl has two red bruise stripes on either side of the incision from where they clamped her open to do the surgery.  She's doing great and should be able to share a cage with Simon in another 3 weeks after they both fully recover and their hormones stabilize.
Here's a pic of Simon that I took a few days after his neuter.  He seems to have become quite the cuddle-bug since the surgery.  He'll move his litter box around to get me to come over and pretty much does anything he can to get me to scoop up his front paws so he can lick my hand.  He'll even start to lean out of the cage to lick my nose and forehead letting his whiskers tickle my face.  I've lost count of the times he's gotten bunny hork on my glasses!  He's developing a fascination with my glasses that I hope doesn't progress into him attempting to steal them off of my face.  Given how bad my eyesight is, a bystander would probably laugh their butt off watching me play blind-man's-bluff around the living room chasing after the fuzzy black and orange blur that Simon would appear to be.  He's recovering quickly from the surgery and acts even more loving than his old self. 

What I find funny is that River seems to be a bit jealous of the lack of constant Simon attention that she had prior to the neuter (considering that she'd ignore him about 70% of the time, who would've guessed that she actually craved the constant adoration he heaped upon her).  Whenever she sees Simon licking my hand, she takes the initiative to try to gain my attention by mimicking Simon so I end up being tag-teamed by bunnies--one hand holding one of them up and the other through the bars of the other's cage to prevent them from flipping their litter box.  She's even starting to lick at my hand after I scoop her front paws up and give her the hand signal for "no" for trying to flip the litter box.  They're turning it into a game of sibling rivalry for who can get more of the female human's attention (as though I don't always immediately go over to their sibling's cage to give them a noogie after petting the other one).  Never a dull moment with these two!

No comments: