Tuesday, July 10, 2012

River "helping" me clean her cage.

River decided to make the pine chip bag her newest toy.
At this point, River's thinking, "Oh, sweet!  I can climb right in through this opening at the top...then I can kick all of the litter out--just like I try to do in my litter box!"  I had to scoop her out of the bag before she got much further inside so she wouldn't suffocate herself.  The pine chip bag can't possibly be that interesting.
She got a bit sulky with me after that and decided that if she couldn't climb into the pine chip bag, that I couldn't have the litter scoop.  Here she is laying on top of it and the bag it's stored in.
Ah-ha!  You can't sneak up on me from behind...I'll lay on it this way.  It's mine now!
Well, I have to give her points for tenacity.  If she couldn't climb into or lay on top of the pine chip bag or the litter scoop bag, she decided to try and climb into the one that had the funkified litter.  I set it on top of her cage after her first attempt and here she is plotting a way to thwart my efforts.

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Love reading your posts and sharing in your buns adventures, but I have to point out that you really shouldn't be using pine bedding. It can cause liver problems and affect the way your rabbits respond to certain medications: http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

Courtney said...

I'm glad you like the posts! Thank you for the link and info-I'll have to see if I can find a better type of litter for them to use. Initially, I chose the pine for the litter boxes only and a shredded paper litter for use as bedding because they were different colored and helped me to litter box train them. Again, thanks for reading and for the info!

Anonymous said...

The pine shreds are bad, but pine pellets are fine.

You might be able to find the kind used for horses for super cheap. I think 20 dollars for a 10 lb bag is the going rate in my region.

Courtney said...

Thanks for the tip-I'll keep that in mind as I search around here for litter options! Hopefully I can find a something close by that won't break the bank and is better for them than what I've been using. :)

Anonymous said...

Where I am (SWFL) its hard to find wood stove pellets, but horse stall pellets are very common and VERY cheap here. a 40lb bag cost $7. it lasts forever. its kiln dried pine so totally safe (all oils removed). so if you cant find wood stove pellets, ask about horse stall pellets.

Courtney said...

Sorry for the late response! I don't know whether it was a blogger issue or me this time for not seeing your comment sooner. Thank you for the info about the horse stall pellets. I know that the pine shavings I use are kiln treated to remove oils and I've used aspen bedding in the past but didn't care for its absorbancy. Hopefully I can find something inexpensive that isn't too dusty. Thanks again for your help!